Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au)

Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/index.php)
-   All other toys & Mixed - News & Sightings (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Toynami 30th Anniversary Voltron (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17332)

Trent 16th November 2013 03:15 PM

Toynami 30th Anniversary Voltron
 
BBTS have this up for preorder here. Due February at $225US

Quote:

We’re pleased and excited to once more feature Voltron in our family of licenses, and what better way to kick off this new chapter than with the 30th Edition Voltron!

Standing at 11 inches tall (nearly 13 inches with its display base), the 30th Anniversary edition will feature LED light-up eyes (powered by replaceable batteries) and sturdy die-cast and ABS construction, and will include a very special signature Voltron badge. This badge, when properly transformed, will become a key that can be used to activate light and sound features on the display base, including the legendary "lion's roar." The 30th separates into the individual lions, will also come with the lion's-mouth blade accessory, and will come packaged in a classic retro-styled anniversary box.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps8c7e83d0.jpg

Lint 16th November 2013 04:05 PM

Nice!

Hursticon 16th November 2013 04:10 PM

Wow! :eek:

If I wasn't so tied up with TFs around that time I'd really consider it, looks really good! :cool:

drifand 16th November 2013 05:50 PM

I think it is based on the previous mould. is good I think.

But I already have the original Bandai popy version.

Sinnertwin 16th November 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hursticon (Post 386889)
Wow! :eek:

If I wasn't so tied up with TFs around that time I'd really consider it, looks really good! :cool:

Same here, Hursti. I saw it and my immediate reaction was :eek: followed by :D
As much as i would like to own one (i'm still after a decent representation at a reasonable price) I'm saving up for my big purchase of the Hot Toys 1966 Batman & Robin due in April :o

jazzcomp 16th November 2013 10:40 PM

No pilot figures?

mknell 16th November 2013 11:24 PM

very nice I want one

VGMStudios 17th November 2013 04:07 AM

Same here. I got a little excited then realized that it looks the same as the collectors edition. Though the light up is a nice touch along with the key gimmick. But at that price, ill pass.

Tetsuwan Convoy 17th November 2013 04:05 PM

Shmexy, but expensive. I was rather hoping their 30th Volty wouldn't be so pricey. But it has the metals in it, which is nice. Since Transformers aren't really doing it for me atm, I might just save up for that sexy beast!

nexusnixx 21st November 2013 02:08 PM

Hmmmm quite tempted. Did they not do a 25th anniversary one too? In a book format?

primetime 21st November 2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nexusnixx (Post 387734)
Hmmmm quite tempted. Did they not do a 25th anniversary one too? In a book format?

The book format was the one that people went ape over since it got to be quite rare and the book packaging is unique to Toynami's Masterpiece line - including Robotech.

Now you may not get the book any more but at least you have a another metal Voltron hopefully with better quality materials and the stand and LED eyes to boot.

nexusnixx 21st November 2013 06:24 PM

Hmmm between the book and this retro looking issue. I am quite keen in the 30th anniversary version

Tetsuwan Convoy 21st November 2013 09:21 PM

Is it really worth $225 though?

drifand 22nd November 2013 08:04 AM

I wait for Bandai's release on SOC version. :)

WeallscreamforStarscream 22nd November 2013 08:36 AM

i have the original, and i STRONGLY recommend this one if it is anything like my one. Stands strong and tall, with the sword blades and other little weapons for the lions when separated.

Well worth the money, but i think shipping is gonna hurt.. i still have my box from forever ago and its pretty huge!

nexusnixx 22nd November 2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 387853)
Is it really worth $225 though?

Shipping from bbts is about usd$60 so making it $285. Not too sure if it now. Ha ha.

Reckon this will drop in price?

kurdt_the_goat 22nd November 2013 12:40 PM

I think they're just taking advantage of the scarcity of the older releases of this toy. There's no way in hell it's worth $225 plus shipping! The old plastic release (that i have, and from what i've read is more balanced than the old diecast version), used to retail for $50!

It really sucks that this is the best Lion Voltron just by default due to no competition. It doesn't quite look right (mostly proportions), it barely poses in the legs, and is no better engineered than the original Matchbox toy.

I'd recommend the recent Vehicle Voltron over this one and just have some patience for a Soul of Chogokin Golion... it has to come some day...

Tetsuwan Convoy 22nd November 2013 12:44 PM

...and totally cancelling my panic pre-order on BBTS.

;)

nexusnixx 22nd November 2013 02:24 PM

thanks for the insight into this... crazy to think that toy prices have gone up so so much... has purchasing power gone up or is it just inflation...

looks like 30th Anniversary Voltron is not taking my money for sure :D


Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 387963)
I think they're just taking advantage of the scarcity of the older releases of this toy. There's no way in hell it's worth $225 plus shipping! The old plastic release (that i have, and from what i've read is more balanced than the old diecast version), used to retail for $50!

It really sucks that this is the best Lion Voltron just by default due to no competition. It doesn't quite look right (mostly proportions), it barely poses in the legs, and is no better engineered than the original Matchbox toy.

I'd recommend the recent Vehicle Voltron over this one and just have some patience for a Soul of Chogokin Golion... it has to come some day...


Tetsuwan Convoy 22nd November 2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nexusnixx (Post 387974)
thanks for the insight into this... crazy to think that toy prices have gone up so so much... has purchasing power gone up or is it just inflation...

looks like 30th Anniversary Voltron is not taking my money for sure :D

I don't think it's either purchasing power OR inflation. Probably just greed. :p

Lighty gimmicks and noises shouldn't cost an extra $175.00. Most of the designing has been done already, all they would have had to do is modify the head a bit for the LED eyes.

Hopefully noone buys it and it ends up being discounted to $50 ;)

WeallscreamforStarscream 22nd November 2013 05:10 PM

this thing is all metal and little plastic. not overly poseable but you can get some good poses weilding the sword, open/ closed mouth lions etc.

koolkollectibleskhai 14th May 2014 01:28 AM

Finally got my set in with my big Pile of Loot from BBTS! Overall I'm glad to have it, but it certainly isnt as amazing as I thought it would be! I personally think the Miracle Productions MA-01 Vehicle Voltron to be a better overall figure design. Full video review uploading now.

It has diecast, but still has a LOT of plastic! The MA-01 has much more diecast, although I dont necessarily see that as an issue quality wise (diecast doesnt automatically mean better quality).

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psd0fd51fa.jpg


http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9d100315.jpg


http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a0c0a2d.jpg

drifand 14th May 2014 10:22 AM

I think the infinite gokin version looks better imo.
I certainly think Bandai will release their SOC version.

twincobra 14th May 2014 10:40 AM

If that's the case I will wait for a Bandai release, love that vehicle force Voltron.

koolkollectibleskhai 14th May 2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twincobra (Post 414192)
If that's the case I will wait for a Bandai release, love that vehicle force Voltron.

Yeah, the first batch of the MA-01 certainly had its problems, but the v2 with all the QC fixes is a pretty great figure. I think it's a lot better than the Toynami Lion Voltron actually now that I've had more time to mess around with them.

koolkollectibleskhai 14th May 2014 05:11 PM

Here's my full video review of the Voltron 30th Anniversary Set. Hope you can check it out, subscribe, like, and comment with your own thoughts! :)

http://youtu.be/dgDA1s41IIo

kurdt_the_goat 14th May 2014 05:19 PM

IMO The Miracle Vehicle Voltron QC issues were blown way out of proportion from just a few overly picky and/or clumsy fools. I got one of the first and Tets here got one of the second, while there's improvements to be sure, they're pretty minor. The 1st release was no slouch at all and i never felt like i got ripped for being impatient :D

That new Lion Voltron is supposed to have improved joints compared to the earlier releases, to better deal with the diecast weight, but they look the same from your pics? Sounds like you didn't own one of the earlier ones though? Will watch your video later, thanks!

koolkollectibleskhai 14th May 2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 414261)
IMO The Miracle Vehicle Voltron QC issues were blown way out of proportion from just a few overly picky and/or clumsy fools. I got one of the first and Tets here got one of the second, while there's improvements to be sure, they're pretty minor. The 1st release was no slouch at all and i never felt like i got ripped for being impatient :D

That new Lion Voltron is supposed to have improved joints compared to the earlier releases, to better deal with the diecast weight, but they look the same from your pics? Sounds like you didn't own one of the earlier ones though? Will watch your video later, thanks!

Yep, this is my first Lion Force Voltron ever! Have wanted one since I was a kid :)

Tetsuwan Convoy 15th May 2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolkollectibleskhai (Post 414293)
Yep, this is my first Lion Force Voltron ever! Have wanted one since I was a kid :)

Just watched the review and my opinion (of the toy) Hmm, nice, but definitley doesn't look like it's $224 worth...

The limited hips, seems a bit of an oversight. while I like the metal, that plus the blingy stand and lighty eyes just do not justify the massive price. Sure the metal would put it up, but the lions aren't complex deisgns, so they'd be easy enough to bust out.

I just don't think it stands up well when compared to other high calibre robots. For that price you can get yourself a nice chogokin combiner bot no problems...

koolkollectibleskhai 16th May 2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 414544)
Just watched the review and my opinion (of the toy) Hmm, nice, but definitley doesn't look like it's $224 worth...

The limited hips, seems a bit of an oversight. while I like the metal, that plus the blingy stand and lighty eyes just do not justify the massive price. Sure the metal would put it up, but the lions aren't complex deisgns, so they'd be easy enough to bust out.

I just don't think it stands up well when compared to other high calibre robots. For that price you can get yourself a nice chogokin combiner bot no problems...

Yep, I agree, it's definitely over priced for what really amounts to a minor update to an existing figure. It really does need a proper redesign to add some new technology around articulation and joints etc.

koolkollectibleskhai 17th May 2014 06:01 PM

The more closely I look at the lions and mess around with the set, the more I feel it is way over priced for what it is. It really doesn't feel like a high end quality product! The joints, especially on the lion legs, are really crap. Combined, it certainly looks decent enough in the display cabinet, but no where near worth $225+!

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psb88a808b.jpg

Tallestblue 22nd May 2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolkollectibleskhai (Post 414169)

Wow. They look REALLY nice together.

koolkollectibleskhai 24th May 2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallestblue (Post 415992)
Wow. They look REALLY nice together.

Yeah, as nostalgic display pieces, they're pretty nice. I would've liked some better quality with the new Toynami, but I'll treat both pretty much like statues anyway. So as part of my 80s classic cartoons collection, I'm happy to have them now.

koolkollectibleskhai 25th May 2014 12:51 AM

Decided to pick this pose as the final one for this piece. Still disappointed with the overall quality, but looks pretty good on display like this.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6943d4ca.jpg

Tfiguy 1st November 2014 09:47 AM

Golion
 
I know I'm waaaaaay behind the times, but have you guys seen the Japanese version of Voltron? Golion? What the hell? Arms and legs getting ripped off people, their eyeballs getting popped out! Whoa, we never got this in our version! I had no idea!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ux2aMNzbso

Tfiguy 1st November 2014 10:08 AM

I was thinking about getting a vehicle Voltron, Which one is the best?

Trent 1st November 2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfiguy (Post 442415)
I was thinking about getting a vehicle Voltron, Which one is the best?

I have heard good things about this one (free pug for Tets' blog ;)) but make sure you get the second run as the first run had a few issues.

Tfiguy 1st November 2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 442417)
I have heard good things about this one (free pug for Tets' blog ;)) but make sure you get the second run as the first run had a few issues.

Thanks Trent, I've been looking at the Miracle Works Vehicle Voltron Version 3. It looks pretty good man. Any knowledge?

Trent 1st November 2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfiguy (Post 442425)
Thanks Trent, I've been looking at the Miracle Works Vehicle Voltron Version 3. It looks pretty good man. Any knowledge?

There's a version 3?

Tfiguy 1st November 2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 442440)
There's a version 3?

Yeah, it's called final version :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0DgXNR0I0


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.