Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au)

Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/index.php)
-   All other toys & Mixed - News & Sightings (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Toynami 30th Anniversary Voltron (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17332)

Tfiguy 3rd November 2014 07:47 PM

Speaking of Golion/Voltron I see Madtoys are releasing one with a LOT of Detail. Are they a good brand?
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8d0e4fa2.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7ef7bca3.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...psd9fde8c1.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps49c07c10.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2bbdb214.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8cd66a1f.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...pse1840798.jpg

Tfiguy 3rd November 2014 09:17 PM

Actually, should have I put this in a different thread?

kurdt_the_goat 4th November 2014 03:33 PM

I've been keeping an eye on that Voltron for a while, it's looking good. Releases 20th November.
Not much is known about the company i think, nor whether it's officially licensed.

It doesn't appear to be a very wide release either, only LCM Toy or Mad Toys site itself seems to be offering.
I'm pleased enough with my Toynami version but the latest pics are making it difficult to resist!

More pics on Toys Daily
http://i.imgur.com/12OCEE8.jpg

There's some videos they've put up as well:

Black Lion Yellow Lion Red Lion

Tetsuwan Convoy 4th November 2014 05:05 PM

Aw dayum. It's looking pretty hawt.

Totally not an official Voltron figure though, which makes me sad. But It is tempting. Only $210 as well.

kurdt_the_goat 4th November 2014 05:56 PM

+ 30 odd bucks shipping to Japan or 50 ish to aus :(

Posting those pics and vids was doing my head in, crazy thoughts of selling Toynami Voltron, scouring toy boxes for other shit to sell to help finance this guy :o

But a little breather and i think i'm good. After all, Miracle Vehicle Voltron dropped in price significantly after release (and was improved). Could nab a bargain on this guy in a few months perhaps.

Tfiguy 4th November 2014 10:35 PM

Lol Breathe Kurt, Breathe... Let's not be too hasty lol...
I really like the bulkier look of Golion, the 30th Anniversary kind of looks too skinny to me...

Tfiguy 4th November 2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 442991)
Aw dayum. It's looking pretty hawt.

Totally not an official Voltron figure though, which makes me sad. But It is tempting. Only $210 as well.

Hmm... Yeah, but Imo this is better than the official. The detail on it leaves the official one in the dust..

Trent 5th November 2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfiguy (Post 442448)
Yeah, it's called final version :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0DgXNR0I0

Where does one buy this Final Version Voltron?

Tfiguy 5th November 2014 10:26 PM

www.toyercity.com Pretty good price for the Big guy...$159.90us
I wouldn't mind getting Voltron Products in at Tfidu and I could easily beat those prices, but I'm still trying to find out if there is a market for them... I asked on my facebook page, but there wasn't too much action :-/

drifand 5th November 2014 11:10 PM

You guys beat me to it and yes it looks way better than toyami version.

Tetsuwan Convoy 6th November 2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfiguy (Post 443047)
Hmm... Yeah, but Imo this is better than the official. The detail on it leaves the official one in the dust..

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifand (Post 443178)
You guys beat me to it and yes it looks way better than toyami version.

Can't disagree with those comments. But the Toynami version was originally released at a mere $50. IIRC. The rarity of a quality collector's Voltron pushed up the porice. Then they re-released it with electonic eyes and jacked up the price somewhat ridiculously.

So essentially, at the most the original is just a ~$60-70 figure as opposed to this one, which is designed to be much sexier.

Still, I am mighty tempted by this beasty.

drifand 7th November 2014 10:32 AM

I would need to see it released in the jp market and consider the price.
If it is at the rrp I may not get it for now though it looks too tempting.

Initial_G 7th November 2014 03:18 PM

Wow, this version looks a heck of a lot better than the Toynami version. Would be really nice to see how it compares to other versions like the Go Lion or LionBot versions.

I've always wanted to get one of those. I remember I passed on the Toynami previously as it didn't quite seem collector quality to me

drifand 7th November 2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Initial_G (Post 443426)
Wow, this version looks a heck of a lot better than the Toynami version. Would be really nice to see how it compares to other versions like the Go Lion or LionBot versions.

I've always wanted to get one of those. I remember I passed on the Toynami previously as it didn't quite seem collector quality to me

same here, very average.

kurdt_the_goat 9th November 2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 443000)
Posting those pics and vids was doing my head in, crazy thoughts of selling Toynami Voltron, scouring toy boxes for other shit to sell to help finance this guy :o

But a little breather and i think i'm good. After all, Miracle Vehicle Voltron dropped in price significantly after release (and was improved). Could nab a bargain on this guy in a few months perhaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfiguy (Post 443046)
Lol Breathe Kurt, Breathe... Let's not be too hasty lol...
I really like the bulkier look of Golion, the 30th Anniversary kind of looks too skinny to me...

Gave it a few days and the urges came back, now he's preordered :P Listed a few TF and other sales so hopefully i won't feel so bad about splurging for it (along with EMS lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 443211)
Can't disagree with those comments. But the Toynami version was originally released at a mere $50. IIRC. The rarity of a quality collector's Voltron pushed up the porice. Then they re-released it with electonic eyes and jacked up the price somewhat ridiculously.

So essentially, at the most the original is just a ~$60-70 figure as opposed to this one, which is designed to be much sexier.

The market really has played havoc with the price of Toynami Voltrons... the prices on Ebay were ludicrious when i was looking to buy one, and even worse now, even after the 30th anniversary release! I paid $130 for mine and so that's what i'll try and get for it now anyway.

VGMStudios 10th November 2014 05:44 PM

Just found out about this guy.
very tempted to buy him.

remember he is not voltron but golion.
so to say he is unofficial voltron is incorrect.

kurdt_the_goat 10th November 2014 05:51 PM

CollectionDX has posted a review! The packaging doesn't explicitly say Golion afaik either, so it looks to be totally unofficial. Don't think it matters mind you, it looks awesome!

CoRDS 10th November 2014 06:34 PM

oh man thats awesome. if i put an autobot logo on it i can pretend its a transformer right?

Tetsuwan Convoy 10th November 2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 443838)
remember he is not voltron but golion.
so to say he is unofficial voltron is incorrect.

So, say he's an unofficial golion then ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 443840)
CollectionDX has posted a review! The packaging doesn't explicitly say Golion afaik either, so it looks to be totally unofficial. Don't think it matters mind you, it looks awesome!

Aargh, It matters to me. Even though MW V Voltron was a 3rd party thingo, it was sorta legit merch. The story is what I love about it.

This one is just plain 3rd party...... No story.... So torn. Looks da shizz though.

kurdt_the_goat 10th November 2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 443882)
Aargh, It matters to me. Even though MW V Voltron was a 3rd party thingo, it was sorta legit merch. The story is what I love about it.

This one is just plain 3rd party...... No story.... So torn. Looks da shizz though.

I can understand no interest in TF 3rd party - at least officially there is still lots of choice. But here we're talking about WEP, who has done zilch for Voltron since it's heyday pretty much. They're battling with Harmony Gold for worst toy related company as far as i'm concerned, so stuff em!

Tetsuwan Convoy 10th November 2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 443891)
I can understand no interest in TF 3rd party - at least officially there is still lots of choice. But here we're talking about WEP, who has done zilch for Voltron since it's heyday pretty much. They're battling with Harmony Gold for worst toy related company as far as i'm concerned, so stuff em!

Yeah, thats what I was thinking after reading through the robot japan thread. Some interesting info there.

My iron resolve is weakening....

kurdt_the_goat 10th November 2014 10:05 PM

Perfect solution - you buy my Official Toynami Voltron, i buy the Mad Toys one with less guilt, everybody wins! I'll even let you see the Mad Toys one when ur back in Aus! What a deal! :p

drifand 10th November 2014 10:20 PM

Mad toys man, you be mad not to go mad. :)
Better figure or toy will win for me.

VGMStudios 11th November 2014 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 443882)
So, say he's an unofficial golion then ;)

Fair enough! Haha.

to be fair we do buy 3rd party transformers so what's the difference with this?

drifand 11th November 2014 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 443945)
Fair enough! Haha.

I would question about the entire macross fiasco again and ask who do you really support? Robotech or Macross

VGMStudios 11th November 2014 07:00 AM

Well macross of course, but do YOU really think Bandai Japan will really make one and upset everyone else and have a law suit above thier heads for one toy?

Tetsuwan Convoy 11th November 2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 443924)
Perfect solution - you buy my Official Toynami Voltron, i buy the Mad Toys one with less guilt, everybody wins! I'll even let you see the Mad Toys one when ur back in Aus! What a deal! :p

Wow, that is a great deal... Until I saw a Toynami one in the video review.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 443945)
Fair enough! Haha.

I've avoided 3rd party TFs on a moral (and wallet) basis, to me if it it isn't licensed it isn't a TF. Must admit though, the 3rd party stuff I have (Mostly FP) is very nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 443948)
Well macross of course, but fo YOU really think Bandai Japan will really make one and upset everyone else and have a law suit above thier heads for one toy?

This legal limbo with Voltron is making more and more inclined to go to the effort of getting one.

drifand 11th November 2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 443948)
Well macross of course, but fo YOU really think Bandai Japan will really make one and upset everyone else and have a law suit above thier heads for one toy?

Haha bandai only does care for the following
1. Gundam
2. Power rangers
3. Kamen riders
4,macross
All the rest are just side projects

IMO their soc range have been poor choices other than ggg lately.

VGMStudios 11th November 2014 02:22 PM

Hey I agree with the both of you.
Its really to bad. Its the fans who suffer in the end.

Well I couldn't pass this up and preordered one. That review video along with my excitement pushed me over the edge haha. So much better than the collectors edition.

Tetsuwan Convoy 11th November 2014 06:15 PM

I think I will order one tonight. Get me some of those twin blades action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 444042)
So much better than the collectors edition.

OH god yeah, it just looks embarrassing when he shakes it around in the video.

Oh and on that front, the guy kind of bags the MW V Voltron, but Taking into account that V Voltron is made of 15 parts, as opposed to L V's 5, I think it's still a pretty good effort.

drifand 11th November 2014 06:22 PM

Is this appearing in any jp online stores?

Tetsuwan Convoy 11th November 2014 06:58 PM

Nope, I think its just being done through the MADtoys site.

Well I hope so coz I just PAID for one:eek::cool:

Annoying how paypal seems to store a poopload of old addresses for postage. I had some old ones from 10 years ago that I'd forgotten about. WTF? And one from America :confused::confused::confused:

VGMStudios 11th November 2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy (Post 444080)
Oh and on that front, the guy kind of bags the MW V Voltron, but Taking into account that V Voltron is made of 15 parts, as opposed to L V's 5, I think it's still a pretty good effort.

Lol for sure. It was a really good effort.
The guys over at DX are a bunch of hypocrites.
I watched them ooh and ahh over V Voltron when it was first anounced and they even had the guy who made it on thier silly show. They were all nice to him to his face. Then thier true colors show in this video where they bash it.
kinda 2 faced if you ask me.
But heaven forbid if you bash anything they like. They will ban you and start talking trash about you. They are men who are nothing but childish children in adult bodies, especially that adam jerk.

you may want to check out toyercity. The price is only $199 as apose to the $210 the OEM site has him for AND you still get the bonus items.

drifand 12th November 2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 444098)
Lol for sure. It was a really good effort.
The guys over at DX are a bunch of hypocrites.
I watched them ooh and ahh over V Voltron when it was first anounced and they even had the guy who made it on thier silly show. They were all nice to him to his face. Then thier true colors show in this video where they bash it.
kinda 2 faced if you ask me.
But heaven forbid if you bash anything they like. They will ban you and start talking trash about you. They are men who are nothing but childish children in adult bodies, especially that adam jerk.

you may want to check out toyercity. The price is only $199 as apose to the $210 the OEM site has him for AND you still get the bonus items.

I am a bit out of the loop, can you guys show me links for this? as in the hypocrites. lol

Tetsuwan Convoy 12th November 2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifand (Post 444171)
I am a bit out of the loop, can you guys show me links for this? as in the hypocrites. lol

I saw it in some youtube videos. When the MW VVoltron was in development they were all excited for it and went nuts on it. Had a guy with preview shots and the die cast parts to show off etc

Then in the MT Voltron Vid, they grab VVoltron, wiggle it about, say it looks a bit derpy next to the LVolton and ask MT to look into designing VVoltron again.

I think maybe the guy was a bit excited, but MW V is a good design. The fault kind of lies in VVoltron being so many pieces. Have a look at his waist piece alone and you can imagine how hard it would be to get joints in there, then add on the pressure of the small thigh piece. They have a lot of pressure to cope with when you move his legs around as they are plugged into the shins and hips and are fairly small.

It's a bit like comparing a combiner TF to a slight partsformer TF in a way I guess.

kurdt_the_goat 12th November 2014 11:26 AM

The guy who CollectionDX had on the show was the owner of a shop called ToyFreaks. He was claiming to be exclusive distributor in the states for Miracle's Voltron but in the end, Miracle claim they only met with him once, and he basically robbed them, since they sent him VV's to keep customers happy, but never saw any of the money. The ToyFreaks site disappeared a while back so presumably he's out of business.

I concur with Tets though - the VV is about as good as you could hope for, for a 15 vehicle combiner. Mine's one of the earlier releases that had some problems too. While they improved things with later runs, the internet would have you believe that the first release is a pile of shit, but there's really not a whole lot of difference.

drifand 12th November 2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 444177)

I concur with Tets though - the VV is about as good as you could hope for, for a 15 vehicle combiner. Mine's one of the earlier releases that had some problems too. While they improved things with later runs, the internet would have you believe that the first release is a pile of shit, but there's really not a whole lot of difference.

Lucky I have the popy DX version then in my case. :)

VGMStudios 12th November 2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat (Post 444177)
The guy who CollectionDX had on the show was the owner of a shop called ToyFreaks. He was claiming to be exclusive distributor in the states for Miracle's Voltron but in the end, Miracle claim they only met with him once, and he basically robbed them, since they sent him VV's to keep customers happy, but never saw any of the money. The ToyFreaks site disappeared a while back so presumably he's out of business.

Wow. This I didn't know. What a horrible person.
heck they all are horrible people.

Thanks for the info ktg. You really cant blame the figure. As you mentioned it is 15 vehicles.

Trent 13th November 2014 10:09 PM

Well, apparently some genius posted a link to the CDX review on WEPs Facebook page. Now Mad Toys web page is down and the rumour is that they may be in trouble. But we'll see.

Just when I was almost convinced to buy it too :-/

VGMStudios 14th November 2014 12:50 AM

Oh no! Gotta link?
Your right, the site is completely gone. Even their FB page is gone.
This is frustrating and annoying. Probably some rabid fan who couldnt stand that this was a superior version of the toy to the toynami version.